Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Walk a Mile in their Shoes...

Errrr... What shoes?

I shiver as I look down at my tiny, calloused and very dirty feet. Wait! These aren't my feet! Reaching up I touch my face and hair. What happened to my long hair? The hair on the head I'm touching is cropped short and doesn't feel like it has been washed in a long time..

Where am I? The last thing I remember is looking at the profiles of some children that are still looking for a sponsor, my eyes having a hard time focusing because I really should have gone to bed already. Am I dreaming? But this feels way too real to be a dream. Taking stock of the situation while I try not to panic, I find out that I am apparently a little boy, but I have a ragged dress thrown over some way too large shorts. Don't I have any clothes of my own?

Then one thing becomes really, really apparent. I'm hungry. VERY hungry. As in haven't eaten in days hungry.

"Mahima!" I hear a voice calling me. I turn and see a bunch of other children waving at me. "Come on! Aren't you coming to the project today?"  They take off at a run and not knowing what else to do, I run after them, trying to ignore the feel of the rocks on the soles of my bare feet.

The rest of the morning is a blur. We arrive at the project, a very nice place. My stomach rumbles as I smell food. Some nice people help me wash my hands and give me a bowl which is soon filled with rice and vegetables. It was so good!! I ate every bit of it!

Afterwards, there are games and stories and other activities. Then as a tall man walks in, everyone stops and looks at him expectedly. "Mahima!" he calls out, "Come with me, please."

Shaking with fear, I follow him. Have I done something wrong? Inside his office, there are other people there, all smiling at me. "Good news Mahima! You have a sponsor!"

I can't express the joy that seemed to fill my whole body. One of the tutors takes my hand and leads me to a desk. "We are going to write your first letter to you new sponsor," I am told. "Don't worry, I will help you!"

Sitting down, he helps me to write the first of what I hoped to be many many letters...

This is a fictional story, but there is a little boy named Mahima from India that desperately needs a sponsor. His profile can be found at Sponsor Mahima

1 comment:

  1. I desperately want to see Mahima sponsored! His little feet have never seen shoes before. You can just tell my looking at them.

    ReplyDelete