Sunday, September 23, 2012

Happy Birthday, Diluxana!

Today is Diluxana's 8th birthday! I fell in love with her when I saw her bright, happy smile. She lives in the mountainous community of Hali-ela, home to approximately 14,500 residents. Typical houses are constructed of dirt floors, mud walls and tin roofs. Hali-ela lies just to the sw of Badulla, the capitol of the Uva Province of Sri Lanka. It is almost completely encircled by the Badulu Oya River, and is about 2200' above sea level. The town is overshadowed by the Namunukula range of mountains. There are some wonderful things to see around where she lives - the Muthiyangana temple, the Dhowa temple, the ancient Bododa wooden bridge, and the Rawana water fall. Someday I would love to go see Diluxana. Her country is very beautiful!

Isn't she beautiful! I have received one letter from her so far. Her note said, "Dear Sponsor, My name is Diluxana. Thank you so much. I like to play cricket. I am studying in grade four. My favorite pet is cat." She also did a very nice, colorful drawing for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment