Friday, September 7, 2012

Letter from Peru!

I got "Mi Primera Carta" (my first letter) from Jean Paul in Peru today! It lists the names of his parents, grandfather and brother. He lives on the coast and near his house is a school and church. His favorite food is "Arroz Con Pollo" (my 3rd child that list that particular food as their favorite!)

On the back he drew me a colorful stick figure picture of 2 boys playing soccer.. apparently an artist he is not.. but I love it anyway! I think I will attempt to do a drawing of some soccer player and send it to him.  This is what he wrote..

Dear Sponsor Donna Kirckof,
Greetings in the precious name of the Lord Jesus Christ hoping that you are in good health. I only have one year left to finish high school. I'm in 10th grade and I really like to play sports. How old are you? Pray for me and my family. Jean Paul Ladares Cabanilla

Short but sweet!

RECIPE FOR ARROZ CON POLLO:

Arroz con pollo means "Rice with Chicken" in Spanish. It is a classic dish of Spain and Latin America, with many different traditional ways to prepare it, unique to various countries. An arroz con pollo you find in Cuba may be quite different than one you find in Peru.


Easy Arroz con Pollo

  • 1-3/4 cups uncooked instant rice
  • 6 boneless pieces of chicken
  • Garlic salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1 cup picante sauce
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 
Spread the rice in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with garlic salt and pepper; place over rice. In a large bowl, combine the broth, picante sauce, tomato sauce, onion and green pepper; pour over the chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment