Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Letter from the DR!

At long last I received my first letter from Jeison in the Dominican Republic! I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't get one before I left at the end of January to go visit him on my very first ever Compassion Sponsor tour! I can't wait to meet this boy in person! Here is his letter...

Dear Sponsor... How are you? It's a pleasure to me to find out you chose me. Thanks...I was born on January 9th, 1997. I live with me father. I have 4 siblings. I'm the 3rd.  I'm in 1st grade High School. My favorite subject is language. My favorite food is Moro de Hapichuelo with potato salad. I live in an area called "Brisas del Este". I would like to know if you are married. If you have children. What your favorite food is? I ask a prayer for my family and my studies. Goodbye.. with love... Yeison

Not bad at all for a first letter! *melts into a happy puddle*



Of course, I had to search out a recipe for his favorite dish.. Here 'tis!

Dominican Moro De Habichuelas

 ( Rice and Beans)

Ingredients

    • 2 cups rice
    • 4 cups water ( the water you boiled the beans in if possible)
    • 1 cup cooked red beans
    • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste ( not sauce)
    • 1/4 cup cubanel green peppers or 1/4 cup green bell peppers, finely chopped
    • 1/2 medium red onions, chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 2 fresh garlic cloves, mashed ( or pressed)
    • 1 sprig fresh cilantro ( with stem)
    • 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
    • 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 chicken stock cubes
    • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the garlic, onions, oregano, pepper, parsley, and salt. Sautee for a minute then add the bouillon, stir until dissolved. Add the tomato paste and stir until heated.
  2. Add the beans and stir with your base. Heat for about a minute stirring constantly. Don't let it stick or burn. Increase heat to maximum and carefully add 1 cup of the water and allow it to simmer. When it starts to simmer, add the rice, stir and add the rest of the water. (at this point you should test for salt, it should be a bit saltier than you'd prefer because the beans and rice will absorb most of it). Bring to a boil.
  3. When it starts to boil reduce heat to the lowest possible and cover with a lid.
  4. After 15 minutes remove the lid, most of the water should have been reduced. Throw in the whole spring of cilantro and give everything a good stir from bottom to top. Cover again and let it cook for 10-15 more minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Recipe sounds very similar to one of my Indian girl's favourite foods.

    I'm guessing that not too many kids in Canada/USA would answer rice&beans as their FAVOURITE food...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donna, your Jeison in the DR is born on my birthday, January 9th! I sponsor a 15 year old boy in the DR (Dalvin) who's also born on my birthday! Isn't that a neat coincidence??!!

    ReplyDelete