Saturday, August 18, 2012

Twenty and Done?

I now have a grand total of twenty children that are part of my Compassion family and that shall be all until someone graduates out of the program or God changes my finances. I have a burden on my heart for the older children that for some reason or another, have found themselves without a sponsor for the last year or two of their time in the program. And those of us who have raised teenagers know how difficult those years can be even without throwing poverty into the picture!!

Let me introduce you to the final two members of my family (for now!)

This is Suhasini from India. She will be 20 years old in September and is a very lovely young woman. She is attending college now and her performance is above average. She enjoys singing, art and walking.  She is part of IN678, the Mullai Child Development Center which is located in Oorgaum which is 90km east of Bangalore. She will be graduating out of the program in Sept of 2014.

It was a struggle to pick my 20th child. I kept looking at other children from India, mainly from what I'm afraid to admit were somewhat selfish reasons. First off, they write in English usually! And secondly, I have heard from other sponsors, the children from India tend to be rather prolific writers, and who doesn't want more letters from their sponsored children? But the good Lord gave me a nudge and asked me if I was doing this for me, or was the need of the child more important? When I admitted that I was wrong and the need was more important, I felt the release to go ahead and sponsor this wonderful young lady.

May I introduce to you Janette from Haiti..  She is 17 and above average in school despite the conditions she lives in. Reading the Pastor's letter from her project, HA288 Capene Child Development Center, I found out that her community has over 90% unemployment and the most families there can cook "hardly one meal a day"! Needless to say, that broke my heart! Sweet Janette loves to play jacks, tell stories and art and I love her sassy little smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment